Thursday 4 August 2016

Flying Time Stands Still

I am just getting back into writing again. After a week of doing nothing it is hard to get going. I am reading earlier pages to get back in time and what is happening, but I end up correcting small dialogues. I should not because that is what I will do when the chapter is done and right now I am wasting time and effort doing so. Work is slow and I am stuck.


Yesterday when I walked out to buy some psyllium for the cat I felt strange. While in Holland Village I walked through some stores pondering what I should buy for lunch. I have no idea how much time I spent there, it left like forever but could only have been a few minutes. I bought a breakfast smoothie for lunch (because there is nobody to stop me) and took the MRT back to Farrer.

I walked to the hawker centre next to d'Leedon and ordered some dumplings. Five minutes the man said and I sat down. After what felt like twenty they were done, but it had probably only gone four minutes. When I walked the short walk home and I felt weird in my whole body. The only thing I could think of was how much time had truly passed since I left home. I tried to count how many minutes I had been waiting for my dumplings, but nothing made sense. My body was convinced more time had passed than it could possibly have done.

Turned out I had been gone for an hour. A part of me said that was nothing, quick and easy, especially since I took the MRT twice. Another part of me wonders what I had done during that hour. Walked, looked... I had only bought three things - psyllium for cat, smoothie and dumplings. It should not have taken that long.

John said it was because I had been sick and alone for a week and my body is still trying to get a hang of this thing called the real world. John did not actually say that last bit, I just thought about it. I want to go outside and be all adventurous, but having been home for so long almost makes me feel too comfortable in here. I did not even go outside to buy some lunch, I cooked it here so I did not have to leave.

I need to get my head together.

No comments:

Post a Comment