Friday 26 February 2016

Second day in Singapore

Good night, the clock is almost midnight.

Today John had his first day at work. Eventually I will make him write a post here to tell you all about it.

So I had to explore something today. I waited until John sent me some money, then headed to the mall from yesterday, took out some cash and ate lunch at the food court there. Chicken teriyaki, rice and calamari. It didn't taste much.

I bought sun cream and walked outside, without putting it on my arms. Instead I tried to protect myself with an umbrella. The day was windy and the umbrella uncontrollable. Ditched it and kept on walking. At the time it must have been thirty-six degrees. I didn't think, obviously. Walked until I saw these amazing stacked houses (The Interlace), then started to feel ill and hot, so I decided to go back home.

Halfway I stopped to walk around in another mall. It was chilly inside but the boutiques were shady and everybody stared at me. It felt like a black market, the shops crowded and everyone was selling everything. After a quick run through I got back outside and hurried home. Even went through the second mall just to cool down even more.

This little adventure took me one and a half hour. When I got home I relaxed in the sofa for a while, during which the housemaid came and put up ant-killing-traps in the kitchen and sprayed the bathroom for all the little bugs in there. I put on the sun cream and went up to the pool. The pool is the length of the house, which is seventy-five meters, I swam ten breast and two backs. Felt good, but back in the apartment I noticed I had already gotten marks from the sun on my shoulders and neck.

So I stayed indoors, reading, playing games, watching TV, until I went outside to go meet John. We decided to meet at the Buona Vista MRT and I had no choice but to walk. It took around forty minutes and when I was there I was sweating like a pig in a sauna. Even so, it was a rather large station where two lines connected, and I had no idea where I should meet John. Stood in the middle of a crowd where people went here and there between the lines and just waited, looking lost and confused. After a few minutes John came walking towards me with the biggest grin.

We bought cards for the MRT, lady asking how long we would be staying and when the answer came, "a few years", she and her colleague laughed kind-heartedly. Took the train to HarbourFront/VivoCity and walked around an even bigger mall! Ate dinner at another food court, cheap and yummy food. Two large drinks for no money at all. Meals were small though, we eat a lot and they don't, something else to get used to.

In the mall we bought a hair dryer, talked with a lady about a SingTel card for our phones (but we can't get them without our visa, which we can only get at the embassy, which we don't know where it is), and finally found a large Walmart-like store called Giant and bought a pair of purple soft pants and food for the fridge.

Back on the MRT John started a timer at the stop where he will get of for work. We switched line a Buona and the closes to where we live is Queenstown. It takes him around twenty minutes to get to work.

Easy peasy.

 

3 comments: