Friday 28 July 2017

City Kitty Comeback

The two previous Thursdays I have been too unwell to help out at The Cat museum. Yesterday I went back, feeling like I had been away from school for two weeks and was about to return. Would they remember me? Would they question me? Am I the only one thinking these questions in similar situations? 


Luckily, they did recognise me. I arrived half an hour before the opening hours and took some time to catch up. Last time I was there, Dawn and I found a swelling in one of the kitties mouth and I was told later it was a tumour. I asked about the kitty, Gigi, and received information that the tumour had been removed and she will hopefully recover without complications.

My first shift was at the top floor with the Superstars. The second volunteer was already there and just finished cleaning. I walked around greeting the cats, remembering their names, reading up on their history and soon the first visitors arrived. Jessica came up to prepare fresh chicken and handed me a bowl with small pieces. I, in turn, walked around offering pieces to visitors to be given to the cats. It seemed to be popular, especially with two girls that came back to me to get some more. The Superstars are mostly friendly, but sometimes they get a bit cranky when there are too many people up there and they get no time alone. There is one particular, Sara, that can get really angry and attack people walking by where she is sitting. We usually tell visitors to stay clear of her until she calms down.

I walked over to the corner were no one usually are. There is a yellow sofa there and a wooden hammock, pretty cosy and I like to sit there. Chris or Robert (twins, named after Captain America and Iron Man) followed me. I leaned over to cuddle with him as he sat in a funny position on the backrest of the sofa. Suddenly I hear a sound and quickly draw back. The cat is peeing. A puddle lays in the soft faux-leather fabric, but as the cat jumps away is sprays over the white wall and runs down to the sitting cushion. Obviously I hurry to clean it up. Such a naughty cat!

There was a moment when I stood talking to a visitor about Mr Darcy, a grey Exotic Shorthair, when she looked at me and said something like I have been here before, I recognise you. I did not know what to answer, should I have said thank you? Instead I informed her that I volunteered every Thursday (except the last two, as mentioned) and if she had been here on a Thursday before it was possible she had met me before. Either way, it felt good to be recognised. I must have made some kind of impression last time!

The first shift lasts one and a half hour, but by five o'clock it was empty upstairs. When visitors arrived at TCM they start at the top floor, then moving down, and though they normally do not stay with the Superstars for very long (since they are not adoptable) there are usually a small group at all times. With no one there, we had nothing to do - more than cuddle with the cats - before it was time for the second shift. I headed to the reception and during the one and a half hour there, only one group of three came in. It was a slow day for TCM.

At seven Dawn came out to the reception and we left together. We walked around Bugis Junction for a while before going up to foodjuction. For a while we scanned the many stalls for meals we wanted. We separated and bought food from different places; I had honey-glazed chicken with noodles. It was surprisingly good. I was so tired from lack of sleep (Ymir keeps waking us up around five or six in the morning) and can barely remember what we talked about. After a relatively quick dinner we had company down to the cross section underground where Dawn went towards the MRT Green Line and I walked right towards the Blue.

Twenty-five minutes later I was home.


No comments:

Post a Comment