Monday 7 November 2016

Board Times

On Saturday we had planned to enjoy board games at a friend's place, but Ymir was taken to the veterinary and also another couple could join us on Sunday. So the board game-evening took place yesterday instead.

Around half past three John and I walked to the MRT. It would take approximately an hour to travel from Farrer Road to Punggol station. Here is a big difference with estimating time in Stockholm versus Singapore. In Stockholm you need to add ten to twenty minutes because of delays or plain cancellations of a train. In Singapore you can remove ten to twenty minutes to the estimate because the system is just so smooth. We arrived after forty minutes. With directions given to us from our friend we found our way to a nearby mall, walked into FairPrice and picked up two bottles of wine. The queues were unimaginably long and we stood for half an our just to pay for the two items. Then we wanted some donuts from Dunkin' Donuts and bought a dozen to share with the others.

We were only twenty minutes late to the apartment, mostly because of the queue. Ash and Steve were already there. Before going down to have dinner we played a game called Kung Fu Fighting. It was a simple game of simply punshing each other until death. Of course there were cards with blocks and counter-attacks. I said that everyone should kill John first and so everyone did. What an influence I can have! I killed both John and one of the hosts in one move.

Downstairs was a small hawker centre but it operated like a restaurant. We got a table and a menu, then the hosts ordered for all of us since we all agreed they would know what was the best to pick. We got way to much rice for each person. We shared chicken wings, sweet and sour pork and shrimp in a cream and corn-sauce. It was all very tasty!

During the course of several hours we played five more games. One called Timber (if you follow the link I sent you to Splash!; it is the same game just another name for some reason). The goal is to stack small pieces of different size and shape. When the "tree" falls over the last person to put a piece on top gets a point. It was a really challenging for John with shaky hands. I did find it difficult too! 

Another game we played was Camel Up which is a betting game. Five camels race against each other. Each person can either place a bet on a camel/colour that will mostly likely end up first or second place that round, roll a dice, get a coin and move a camel or bet who will win/lose when the race is finished.

My favourite of the night was Codenames which I have played once before. We teamed up girls against boys (and later mixed it up for another round). John and I started as spymasters. Word-games are my strength. My team won that round! Next spymaster was one of the hosts and I think Ash understood more of her intentions while I basically said every word could be right. My talking just made things harder. Girls's did not win that or the following round. Next we changed teams randomly and managed to split evenly. No partner was in the same team. It was a lot harder and the team I was in did not win this turn.

Also, something worth to mention, when John was spymaster for the second team (not including me) he was so bad at giving hints that his teammates picked the only card that would end the game instantly on their first pick. We all laughed so hard!

Around eleven we played The Resistance: Avalon, a standalone game from the original. At this time I was dropping hints of being tired and wanting to go home, but since we had decided that Ash and Steve would give us a lift home I could not ask them to leave just for me. This being said, I was a very bad "bad guy" (spy) and the rest could easily point me out in the first few rounds. I confess I did not say much to defend myself and only hoped the other baddie would weigh up for me. We played two rounds and I was spy on both, so it is obvious that the good guys won both rounds.

After that it was quarter to midnight and people looked done. I am sure this would have gone on much further but I convinced people it was time to go. We hugged and said good byes and went to the car. I called shotgun because of my motion sickness thing. I did fine, although the cheap wine we had been drinking did not do me any favours. Steve was a really good driver though! We came home safe and sound.

Thanks for the lift!




No comments:

Post a Comment