Thursday 10 November 2016

Group Dinner

John works between nine thirty to six thirty every day. Yesterday he asked to leave half an hour early so we could be on time for a dinner meetup. He called me when he was on the subway and I hurried over to the station. We met at the train and traveled twenty minutes over three lines to end up at a new station where we had never been. Boon Keng.

There we met Ash and Steve. I asked to get my hair braided and Ash was kind enough to help. This was the first braid I have had since I cut my hair short. I have no idea what it looked like. It felt thick and not very "flowy" as it was when longer. We met another guy from the chat outside the station and all five walked to a hawker centre nearby to have a beer before dinner. Apparently we were "uncle-ing"; which is drinking beer and talk about bodily problems. Well, I found it interesting at least.

Together we walked a few minutes towards the restaurant - Lai Wah. Three of us (not including me) walked so slowly it took longer than needed. Eventually we got there and the others were already seated at a table. We were only two minutes late though.

The food was surprisingly good. The guy who arranged the meetup ordered for the whole table, since it is custom to share everything when it is a Chinese cuisine. First dish was a whole steamed chicken and I do not kid you when I say it was whole. The head was still there, staring up the ceiling with squinted eyes. That dish was very popular, I did not even get the chance to try it! 

Apart from another chicken, which was roasted, we had steamed fish and fried fish, fried tofu, eggplant with fish and noodles with shrimp and mushrooms. My favourites were the steamed and fried fish and also the noodles and shrimp (not the mushrooms, I do not like those). To this we were served leaf water (I promise you it was not tea since I do not drink tea). I tried to finish my glass in time with the food, but a waiter kept refilling mine even though it was half full! I just wanted it to be empty.

Afterwards we travelled by car back to the hawker centre to end the evening with some more beer. Tiger is cheap and popular, but the locals chose another brand. I do not remember what kind. It did not cost much more and it tasted pretty good. Hopefully this will take John away from the Tiger. I only had a few sips from his glass.

Around ten o'clock we split. It was great company and good food. I am looking forward to next time.
Thank you Ash for letting me use some of your photos for this post.




No comments:

Post a Comment