Monday 24 July 2017

To Orchard Us Two

July has not been a great month for me. This is obvious to people reading my blog, since with one week left of the month I have not even managed to write ten posts. There has been things to write about, but no energy to do so. For two weeks I have not been feeling well and thus have been indoors most of the time. Two weeks is a half month, it is a long time. I am only just now getting back on my feet.


What happened is really nothing I would like to write about, therefore I will write about yesterday instead. John had lunch with one of his colleagues just outside the condo, while I had leftovers from my Much Mashed Meal that I made the day before. Speaking of cooking, I would like to write another episode (as John suggested that I would call them) of the Cooking with Fumblefingers. I have some ideas, I will just have to cook it before I can write it.

After he was done with a two hour long lunch we took the bus to Orchard Road. I felt like a stranger in my own body, having been indoors, mostly by myself, for so long. We went off the bus at the beginning of the road, entered the first building and looked around for a hair salon. The building was strange, most shops closed or empty and the ones open had little costumers in them. There was one salon on the third floor which we asked if they had a time available any time soon. It was a Korean Hair Salon, which felt like the wrong choice for me, so it was more of a warm up for me to talk to strangers. I felt very awkward speaking English. The lady was very short on words, said they had a time two and a half hours later. I thanked and almost ran away.

We continued down the street. Our mission was to stroll and let the legs take us where they went, but we also had things on a list we wanted to get done. Getting me a haircut was one of them, eating sushi at Genki was another. I was a bit cranky - it was three o'clock, my lunch had been small and I craved sushi. Unfortunately Genki Sushi was in the other end of the long Orchard Road. While we made our way there John wanted to go into stores and malls, looking at things and looking for hairdressers. I kept him from doing so and realised I brought down the mood a bit. At least, that is what I think. John said I did not, but I could not believe him. He said I should not make excuses like wanting sushi for my behaviour, which I then pointed out that without excuses it only made me a bitch.

Eventually, after running around the same gigantic mall for some time, we found my favourite sushi restaurant and took two chairs against the wall. The booths were all taken, but I was not there for comfort. Or, well... I was there for some comfort after all. I ordered two full trains immediately, which really are almost too much for one person to eat. But, after finishing all those pieces, I ended up ordering two more. John urged me to try something new, something different. I was not in the mood for swordfish belly, though it sounds intriguing, so instead I had the shrimps with garlic butter. After trying those I understood that butter does not belong on sushi. Never again.

After sushi I had one more thing on my list before I could fully relaxed. We had walked past a hair studio which we recognised the name of and headed there afterwards. Its name was Essensuals, under the Toni&Guy franchise, but strangely enough it is not listed as one of the salons on their website. I was going for their cheapest option, which would have been a Stylist for S$49, but they only had a Style Director for S$73. I cut my hair short at Toni&Guy in Sweden before moving to Singapore, so I felt confident in them. The interesting thing is the price. In Sweden I paid ~S$99 for a Stylist haircut; a Style Director haircut would have been ~S$132. I am very pleased with the pricing here, it was still cheaper to get the middle tier (Style Director) in Singapore than the lowest (Stylist) in Sweden.

In short, the haircut ended up just like I wanted. I still go for my wanted one haircut - the layered back and the side-bangs. The man washing my hair massaged my scalp as well which apparently is common in Singapore. More over, he massaged my ears and neck too. It was really nice, I was so pleased. The woman cutting me was efficient and listened to me really well. If you plan on going there and want a Style Director, ask for Irene.

With my bangs back I felt complete. Sushi in stomach and fresh hair, my mood changed. I was more confident, happier, louder! It was around five o'clock and we had no more things on our list. We strolled down the street again, the opposite direction, back to where we came from and went looking for stores to enter. Entering another mall made me realise I wanted to be outside for a while since I had been sitting in a chair in an AC cold room for over an hour. After a while we came to Victoria's Secret and John wanted to head in. We are the... opposite couple? It was the man pulling his lady to the VS store. Sadly enough, most of the products looked uncomfortable and cheap. I have no idea what has happened to VS, but nothing looked good. We had fun imagining the people in the store in the clothing, but found no more interest in there and left soon enough.

Wanting something to eat we checked the Maps and realised we were close to a Dunkin' Donuts. John is on a sugar-free month, though have had some "skipping" days that will add around a week at the end of the month. This day included. We had one doughnut each and John an ice latte, since it was a deal to get a drink with two doughnuts but of course it was all coffee (which I do not like).

As we are both saying it is time to go home, we are done, we pass by H&M and now it is my turn to drag John inside with me. We ended up buying clothes for John, but I found a cap that I really liked! For John we bought three colourful t-shirts, a plaid-orange shirt, a flower-patterned t-shirt that I so much liked that I think I might buy one for myself and we will become a cute same t-shirt wearing couple! Yes, I think I will, or will that be cruel to John since it is his shirt now?

After that we found the right bus stop and headed home. It was a good day, I feel better, John was kind and lovely as always. When we got home there was this amazing sunset, as many sunsets from our apartment on the 16th floor. It looked like a rainbow and we stood enjoying it for a couple of minutes before it faded away.

No comments:

Post a Comment