Thursday 3 November 2016

Friendly Food

Yesterday we went out to have dinner with friends. After a lot of discussion stretched out over the whole day we decided we wanted Mexican. Unfortunately the couple we were meeting lived very far away from us so we met halfway - Chinatown.

When John left work we saw that the green line, our planned route, was temporarily closed. Instead he came to Farrer Road, we met outside the condo and ordered an Uber to take us to the meeting point. As soon as I sat down inside the car I got motion sick. Sigh. It did not help that it was a snaky road and hot in the car. Even after I asked John to ask the driver to lower the heat I did not feel better. It was not a very long trip though and I was really glad to get out of the car as soon as possible. While waiting for our friends to arrive we went inside a chilled mall. I needed to walk it off, like a professional.

Eventually we all got together and started walking towards the restaurant called Muchachos. It was around a ten minute walk from the Chinatown station. It was fun to see places we had seen before but also new buildings and restaurants. We eventually found the place and walked in. It was a short line but most people seemed to make take out orders so it was not very crowded by the tables. We put down our things at the table and went to order. I immediately saw what John would like, but of course he asked me first what I wanted. Together we made a special order for me - a burrito without beans and the sauce on the side with extra guacamole. Thank you! After that I told John what he needed to order for himself and he laughingly agreed. California burrito. We also had chips and guacamole on the side and drank Jarritos Lime.

Mine was fine, it was nothing special or extraordinary. It filled my stomach and it tasted alright. John, having fries and steak inside his, said it was delicious. I wish I had taken that one instead. I did not even get to taste it! He ate it really fast. In the end I gave him the little that was left after I was finished with my burrito.

Mostly I talked to the girl and John to the guy. Here and there the conversations overlapped and we talked as a group. So many various topics. My new friend told me a story about her trip to USA and I found it both scary and hilarious. We talked about the worst fights we have had in our relationships and none of us had any good ones - a sign of a good match. There was an AC blasting our table with freezing air and when we had finished eating I suggested we would go outside to warm up. The girl agreed. John had not even noticed that AC.

Since it was only half past nine we decided to go grab a beer. Alcohol has a sin-tax here in Singapore so the cheaper the better. They knew a place that was just that - cheap beer. So the couple led us through a closed hawker centre that felt very post-apocalyptic. We went left and right and left and right until we eventually found some men sitting around a table. Of course they would be where the beer is! Good sign. The guys ordered and I shared with John. Two beers later it was close to eleven and I suggested we would drink up and leave. Also, my butt was sleeping.

Together we took the blue line to the station where they would get off to travel further with the green line. They seriously live at the end station, past the airport! So far away. When they got off a guy poked my shoulder. I had my back to him and so I naturally thought he was just asking for some space. I moved a little but he kept going. Eventually I swept around to face him. He held his friend's hand towards me and asked if his new tattooed rings looked good.

I was very confused and also... the tattoos did not go all the way around so technically they were not rings. I did not say that though. The man had clearly been drinking too much. He shook our hands three times while we rode the train. Named Zeus (if we heard that correctly). He asked us friendly questions and answered some himself. John is so much better at talking to strangers. I sat there fumbling with my fingers.

I could relax once they got off the train. Not long after that we arrived at Botanic Garden and switched to the yellow line. Next stop was ours and we walked home. It was around half past eleven. It was a pleasant evening and I truly enjoyed the company of our friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment