Sunday 30 April 2017

Feed Me Friends

I get a few weekends alone here and there when John is away on business trips. Not once during those times have I had the idea of bringing over some girlfriends. My mind is great in many ways, but avoiding boredom and loneliness is not a skill I possess. Though I planned a girls' night a week ago, I thought (for once) it would be better to have it while John was away on a not-business trip (actually a friends/colleagues trip).


Shortly after I had finished my lunch on Saturday I got a text from Ash telling me to come now, come now, come, come down to the subway station. I took my d'Leedon card and two S$10, caught the lift on its way down and hurried of to meet them. Dawn planned on cooking and so we needed to buy ingredients. Luckily for us we have Empress Mall just beside our condominium and some pretty good stores there too. First we needed meat and who else to provide that than the Meatmen. Apparently it is somewhat cheap there, according to Ash and Dawn. Dawn took the lead, asking for five pieces of steak, while Ash browsed the sauce-shelf and bought the spiciest (turned out not to be spicy at all). While down at Empress Mall we picked up some vegetables for a salad and guacamole.

Dawn started cooking as soon as we got up. Ash and I tried to get the Vive VR going but for some reason it did not work for me. I had to update the software but still nothing worked. Well, it did work. Here and there for a few seconds. We never got through the set up though since the base stations kept getting unsynchronised and could not see things. Dawn had made salad and guacamole by the time we gave up. We sat down to play some board games while we waited for the other girls to show up and started playing Sushi Go Party!
Mimi arrived with chips and coconut-water during the last round of our game. We taught her how to play during that and she joined us when Dawn went to the kitchen to start cooking the steaks. There was a misfortune during the process though and red wine was spattered all over the kitchen. The pan was too hot and it went like rain everywhere, even above the fan which was above the pan. How that happened I will never grasp. Everything went away though and the four of us helped clean as well as we could.

The food was as good as done when the last girl for the evening showed up. Cheryl had brought potatoes, but the food was already done and we could not wait for them potatoes to get ready. Instead we had a big salad and some medium well steaks with red wine sauce. We talked a lot while we ate and it felt so good. I do not know if it was the company or the wine, but I talked more than I usually do in a bigger group. Being an introvert makes me listen more than I talk, but it changed during that meal.


After dinner we decided to watch a movie. Even though Ash and Dawn really wanted a super scary horror they helped find less extreme suggestions. I do not get scared of movies, but I am scared of the dark and I had to sleep alone. In the end we watched Red Dragon, the prequel to Silence of the Lambs. I had seen it before, so had Dawn, but it was nice seeing that movie again. The actors are so good and the pacing keeps you alert all the time. The only thing I found laughable was the suspenseful music, but it was a different time and it was probably modern during that year.

When the movie ended it was already a few minutes past midnight. We tried to come up with something else to do but Ash and I were too tired to play board games. We are both morning people and staying up past midnight is unusual for us. Dawn was so very kind and did the dishes while we others looked at Teens Play Video Games on YouTube. Eventually we decided it was time for them to leave.

I cuddled up in bed with my laptop. Even though I was very tired and almost fell asleep, I needed to cleans my head of thoughts to a kid's movie. I put on Open Season 2 and saw the first half hour while I texted back and forth with Ash who was still in the car park downstairs. She had taxi trouble. When she finally got her cab I closed the laptop and fell asleep in a second. What a great day it had been. I am so happy to know these people! I have not had a girl-gang in a long time and today I noticed how much I have missed it. There will definitely be another girls' night! Sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment