Thursday 11 May 2017

Alien: Covenant - movie review


Being a fan of the Alien movies made me believe I would enjoy this movie much more than I did! There were some moments where I completely forgot which series I was watching and other moments when I sat laughing because of the ridiculousness they try to make scary.


Minor spoilers ahead.

Last night we watched Alien: Covenant at the cinema. It was gruesome. Following the other movies, this one is not as scary. Very few pop-up scare scenes and a lot more gore. They chose to focus more on the bloodshed than the lurking danger, making this movie less edge of the seat and more enjoy the story.

The movie starts with us getting to know an android. This is important later in the movie, so take note. We then switch to get on the space-vessel called Covenant, a colony ship on its way to a new planet. A problem occurs and I am reminded of another movie called Passengers. For a few seconds I forget the name of the movie and in my heart I am looking forward to an action filled yet beautiful space movie. I am soon put back on track when the ship picks up an unidentified signal from a unknown habitable planet. It feels like an homage to the first movie and this type of small memorable key-points keeps popping up throughout.

It takes a while before anything scary happens, but when it does, it comes with a bang and a boom! It was absolutely fabulous the way they introduced the Alien this time and I laughed in joy to see it in other forms. This movie comes after Prometheus and before the other movies time-wise, and unfortunately I have yet to see this movie. John recommend seeing it before watching Covenant since there is a lot of plot-points tied to the previous. I miss some things because of this, but did understand enough to get some of the puzzle pieces.

Overall this movie is okay. It is definitely not the best, at some times it is slow, others it is just silly with how long and often they need a gore scene to be on screen. Storyn is a good start, a new beginning to another series of the Alien movies, but, as I said, one could need the information given in Prometheus. The ending was expected; another homage to the first movie and setting it up for a second movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment