Friday 6 May 2016

Not the best of mornings

Seriously tiresome morning.


I took sleeping pills last night since I have had little sleep for three nights in a row, so when John woke up and got ready for work I was still under the influence of these pills and had a hard time waking up. I thought I would get another hour when he left but shortly after the door closed behind him there was a knock.


At first I decided not to answer it. I was half-asleep and really needed a few more minutes in the bed. Then I suddenly remembered that we knew they would come around nine this morning to fix the doors. I got up, dressed quickly and waited a few minutes for the second knock, pretending I had not heard the first one. Three men, one said something about doors. They came in and fixed those metal-holes where the doors lock when closed. THREE MEN for this kind of work. Two of them where just standing there watching as the third man unscrewed and screwed.

I took the liberty of telling about the marks on the balcony that the earlier maintenance man had done and he said something about something and pointed outside. I think he said that I should not tell him that but somebody else. Also told him about the cupboard door that still scratched the fan when it was pulled out. Pointing again and some words, I did not understand much.

They left and said somebody would come by around two o'clock for the touch up on the door-thingys. I went back to bed, closed my eyes and tried to get half an hour of sleep.

A few minutes later there was another knock on the door. Sigh. Got dressed and opened at the second knock. Two men. One would be doing the touch up already and the other checked the leaking shower hose. He concluded it was not leaking and I had no strength to show or protest. The door-holes were being fixed and the other man took photos on the balcony scratches. I showed him the fan and cupboard door problem and he said something about "ah, okay, I'll talk to my peers".

When they left it was too late to go back to sleep. I messaged John and told him what had been done in the apartment. Another knock. The man telling me the shower hose was not leaking where back, said he needed to take more photos of the balcony. Sure, I said and he walked in, took photos and left with an apology for the disturbances. Too late for that, I thought and locked the door behind him.

When getting ready in the bathroom I found cat-poo and pee in the shower. Complaining loudly to Ymir I cleaned it up. He just wanted to finish this morning on top!

It was close to lunch when I was alone with the cat so I could not eat breakfast since I needed the hunger for the upcoming lunch with John and Heidi. Instead I ate some small pieces of sushi and drank a glas of Cola (also swallowed a caffeine tablet just go get going). Now I am ready to go outside and eat some good Mexican.

Hasta la vista!

Just a side-note. Where are all the women? I have had six men in my apartment in less than two hours, fixing small things that surely a woman could do just a easily! I see Indian women walk around the area cleaning and sweeping, but not fixing the apartments. This is so sad. Can I tell them that I won't let them in if there isn't a woman doing the work?

9 comments:

  1. Looks that you have the same experience as for us with the house in Spain.... Sometimes the workers destroyed more than they repared! Interesting note about absence of female workers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, certainly. While fixing one thing they destroy another.

      Hmm yes well it felt kind of strange with all the men running to the apartment. I would have felt more at ease with at least one woman knocking on my door. It's the same with food delivery, so far only men have been doing this.

      Funny thing is that when we first arrived in Singapore we got a female taxi driver and both of us said that it was the first time ever we had one. Then it felt like women could do the typical male dominated works. Now I have lost that feeling.

      Delete
  2. Its a natural explanation: If women should do the repair work it would be done too good and too quick, ie a loss for the companies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will believe in this statement to not be too upset about the issue.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those labourers are foreigners from less-developed countries in this region. Villages that need the money will send their men overseas to work in these industries, and their women, as domestic helpers. And that also explains why they aren't very good at what they do -- they are mostly not educated and for some, it's the first time they are in a city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is does not explain is why the women are not sent to do the repairs in the apartments. Why only send them here as domestic helpers when they are equally good as a man with no experience in the matter. If the men and women are both uneducated, then it shouldn't be a problem to send a woman to do the same work as a man.

      Delete
  5. Having said that, I agree it's very frustrating that they end up not fixing things properly. If you do end up living here in Singapore more permanently in the future and buy a home you need to renovate, I suggest getting a prescription for Xanax before you start work on it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess it's because the work done by men is dirtier and they have to carry heavy things. Also, cultural factors. In Asia your gender matters in the kind of work you do.

    ReplyDelete