Tuesday 14 June 2016

Hardcover or paperback?

I am thinking about books.

Recently added three dragon books to my to-read list on Goodreads (you can also find them in the menu to the right). I have read all books about Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle) and never really thought about other dragon books. The dragons in those were the best characters and so I watched some Booktubers (YouTubers talking about books) and got some recommendations. I am worried if I will find them here in Singapore and what bookshop I should be searching. Previous searches for European books have had less successful results.

What I was really thinking about was hardcover and paperback. A couple of years ago I mostly bought hardcovers. It felt like the real deal, the best way to enjoy books, the way they were meant to be read. Downside was the weight, so heavy to hold up when laying down and impossible to carry around if you want to read on the go.

Nowadays I mostly buy paperbacks. They are far less heavy and fit easily in my bag. Downside is that the cover takes damage almost only by touching it. The corners curve and the edges tear. After a while, probably even before you finish the book, it will look like a lot older than it is. The hardcovers often stay fresh a lot longer.

The end of this train of thought was what I would prefer my books to be. I do not know if I have a say in this, probably not, but since I want my books to feel like books then hardcovers would make that happen. On the other hand I would not buy a book for myself if it is not in paperback.

(If they get big enough I hope that they will come out in both formats.)

What do you prefer? Do you feel the same as I do about this?

2 comments:

  1. Annika and I have discussed this for 32 years now... I think price is important also - you get more reading per € If you buy paperback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the price tag has a lot to do with the decision. But if you're not looking at the price, which one do you prefer?

      Delete