Monday 13 June 2016

Shopping and Warcraft-movie!

On Friday I met John and Heidi on the MRT to go to Orchard. We had booked tickets to the Warcraft movie at 9:45 and so we had some time to spend.

First we ate dinner at a very nice restaurant called Gyoza-Ya. Heidi recommended the dumplings and so each had a plate of five with pork and (were supposed) to share one with shrimp. Also ordered garlic rice. John was still full from his lunch and Heidi was semi-hungry. Left me to eat a lot. I think Heidi took one or two of the shrimp dumplings, the rest were mine! Not complaining about only eating dumplings and rice for dinner, that is like the best thing about living here. They are so good - my new obsession.

We had some time before we had to be at Shaw Theatres Lido (the cinema) and so John was not happy to find out that both girls wanted to go shoe-shopping. What he did not expect was for me to find a pair! Heidi bought a pair of Converse in blood-red or strange-purple colour. They looked so good that I told her if you do not buy them then I will. The shoes I bought were red as well but with woven texture and different material. At first I had decided on a purple colour, hippie-feeling, but then the red ones had more airflow in them and I really like the colour red.


MOVIETIME! We walked to Lido and it was half an hour til the movie started. John left us for the bathroom so Heidi and I walked outside again to buy some drinks. She bought us some smoothie/juice from Boost Juice bars and sneaked them into the cinema through our bags with shoes. The amazing introduction of IMAX started and then the glasses were on and movie was rolling.

Review and Spoilers
Warcraft was great. Lots of action scenes that left the end scene feeling natural. The beginning was confusing as to where they were, but soon forgotten when they passed through the portal and ended up in the human world. I say human world since I have no idea what the name was now again. There are of course more than just humans in this world, but naturally I do not remember these as well. We got to follow a half orc/half Draenei woman, a young mage that left his training, a beloved king and his kingdom and a couple of orcs from different clans. The World of Warcraft veteran sitting to my left (John) explained who they all were in a sense that a Heartstone player (as me) would understand. The magic was great, I could see what spell was cast without them telling me. The power was well-showed and the strength it took to master and control it. It was great to follow the young mage for his powers grew throughout the movie. At the end, he was really the hero.

There was of course a couple of scenes I did not like. The biggest one was in the end when one orc is fighting Gul'dan. There is a close up on the orc when he spits into his hands and rubs them together. That felt strange. It is a movement that humans do in old movies and it felt like it did not belong amongst orcs. First of all - where did they get that from? Second - why would you need to? John answered for friction to which I said orcs could have some other movement to get friction, like licking their hands. I would like to hear your opinion on this!

The Guardian was never really explained, but this I understood why after the movie ended and the two nerds told me that they tell you what happened to him later in the games. Although I would have wanted some explanation in this movie since it made no sense what so ever for him to be Guardian of their world and then betray them by bringing orcs into it. His corruption is not explained either (will probably be in the upcoming movie since Heidi told me one story of how he got corrupted and John another) and so it was a surprise when the movie revealed that it was him!

Lastly, the love affair between the half orc/half Draenei woman and that really important guy (Anduin Lothar) whose son died in front of him was unexpected and somewhat unnecessary. It makes no sense at all for them to suddenly show affection when they barely know each other. It never goes to a kiss and sacrifice moment, it actually ends with misunderstanding between them. Without the love I would have liked their story a whole lot more; they fit like friends and allies. I can only guess that these two have another story in the games that makes more sense, but perhaps they should have left it out of the movie.

Close to midnight we shared a taxi and drove home, all the while talking about the movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment