Saturday 4 March 2017

Double Dumplings

I had a really efficient day yesterday. The second edit of my book was done on the last day of February and I have started with the first chapter (all over again). I have a lot to fix; characters to be written out, items to be picked up earlier, removing classic Fantasy races and replacing them with something more original. I am also fixing my chapter-distribution. First chapter should catch the reader so I worked on that and shortened it a lot! It is so much fun!

So when John asked around half past five what I wanted to eat, I said buy home. I was not ready to go outside, having been in comfortable clothes all day while working. I sat down in the sofa, taking a break from the computer, when suddenly the phone rang. Nobody but John has called me in over a year and I knew it was not him since he was still working. Surprised I picked up the phone, saw it was Ash and answered. Through a noise that none of us could determine where it came from, I understood she asked if we wanted to double date over dinner. I said yes and that I would ask John, but I knew he would want to. We decided to meet at Orchard Road.

John and I met at the subway and travelled to our destination. It only took us about twenty minutes, which surprised Ash since they live so far away from Orchard. There were a few minutes of trouble when we tried to find each other. John and I stood outside and Ash and Steve were somewhere inside. I called Ash and we decided to meet outside the restaurant, but when we walked inside the building and stood looking at the dictionary to find where it was, they came up the escalator right beside us.

Din Tai Fung is a very popular Chinese restaurant. So much so that there is almost always a queue. We got in line, got our number, the menu and the order-chart. For the customers to be as fast as possible inside the restaurant - they can not afford to waste time on people sitting by their table going through what they want to order - we filled the order-chart outside with a bunch of others going through the very tasty menu. We picked out two different kinds of steamed dumplings with soup inside, which is a signature for the restaurant, one set of three chili crab steamed buns (since I would share one with John in case it was too spicy for me), some very nice spinach with garlic, a deep-fried specially marinated pork chop, two bowls of different kinds of noodles (special sauce and peanuts) and fried rice with shrimp. Before the last set of dumplings had arrived at the table Ash and I considered ordering more food. We still had room in our stomachs and it was so good! After we finished the last ten dumplings we realised we were actually kind of full and went to pay the bill instead.

We started talking about waffles and decided to find waffles for dessert. We could not find any on Google Maps, but the smallest places do not show up there anyway. We went underground and scanned the hallways. Waffles where nowhere to be found. Instead we sat down at a small, empty cafĂ© where Ash and Steve ordered root beer floats and onion rings. John and I were too full to order but almost ate all of Ash's ice cream. John challenged them to a riddle that took a while to solve. After that we headed home, John was having a headache. It is always nice to have a last minute dinner date with two friends whom we really like to hang out with. I always laugh when I am with them! And I really love dumplings.


No comments:

Post a Comment