Wednesday 22 March 2017

Duolingo - app recommendation

Duolingo

Free.
Available on Google Play & App Store.
Developed by Duolingo.
Official website.


J'apprends la langue Française, mais je ne suis pas si bon.
I am learning the French language, but I am not so good.


If you want to learn a new language, but you do not have the time for school benches, try this app. This way you will learn a language at your own speed, choose how intense your course will be and practise whenever you have time (and your phone is near, which I believe most humans have within reaching range at all times these days).

Duolingo has twenty seven courses, all covering many skills which you will take one step at a time. After learning the first basic skill you will unlock more options. There is an availability to test out your knowledge for every step you take and Duo the bird will remind you to strengthen your skills before you forget them. There are three bonus slots where you can put in the skills of your choosing. In French, specifically, I have noticed there is only two available options - flirting and idioms. I have yet to try another language, but I suspect there are more options in other courses.

I have used Duolingo for quite some time and feel like I am learning something new every day. I am taking the Regular daily goal, 20 experience, which will be met if I do around four or five categories. It takes me five minutes to learn something new and usually, once I start, I overdo my goal because it is just so much fun. Daily goals can be set for your own needs, ranging from Basic, 1 ex, and Insane, 50 ex.

To really feel like I am learning something I use my boyfriend to interrogate me after I feel like I know a skill. This can be done alone as well. John takes my phone, clicks on strengthen skill or test out and read out loud what it says. I sit opposite him with pen and paper. Personally I feel like I do not learn anything if I do not write it down. I need to be able to spell it, that is the only way I can tell that I know the language. Spelling is difficult, but it is vital. I suggest doing this on your own or with a partner, just to see more firmly where you are in your progress.

Trust apps, rely on yourself.