Wednesday 1 March 2017

Thirty Procent Off


I am losing my hair! It is driving me nuts. My confidence is almost completely gone. I fear taking a shower since I know my hair will clog the drain and flood the bathroom. I have not used the hairbrush in a long time, I do not want to see how much is stuck on it. The whole apartment has hair everywhere. I do not know what to do!



This is not the first time it happens. As long as John has known me, and even before that, the beginning of a new year has been known as the shredding season. We have not actually named it that, but I lose around thirty procent of my hair during January and February. At first John did not think much about it, dismissed it as something that happens to everybody. It was when the bathtub started to clog that he started to become worried. I remember us opening the drain, pulling up chunks of long hair. We sold our computer chairs but when turning my chair over we saw that my hair had twisted around the wheels, making it almost impossible to spin them. We sat for hours using tweezers to remove as much as we could. My hair literally ruined the chair, clogged the bathtub and gathered under furniture faster than dust.

Since we lived in Sweden we thought winter depression. It is common amongst Scandinavians (and other cold countries) and I am no exception. Researching losing hair due to winter depression told us this was it. I was apparently too sad from the winter, even though I did not feel it, and therefore I lost my hair.

Thing is - it is happening again! We moved to Singapore, an all year around tropical country, over a year ago and yet I still lose so much hair during these two months. I do not understand it! I am not depressed, it is not cold outside, I am feeling fine (apart from slowly getting insane from the hair-issue) and I take care of my hair. I do not overuse my straightening iron nor put in a lot of strange chemicals in it. It just falls off. Literally. I am sitting here writing this after have showered. Without even moving my head I feel a piece of it land in my lap. The ones falling to the floor will get stuck in the wheels of the chair and yet another furniture will be ruined.

I am desperate. Please help me. Send me ideas what to do. Tell me this is happening to somebody else. Explain what this is!

I might be a bit hysteric about it, but I am calm. I know my hair will return. It always does. It will get back to being fluffy. John said he can feel new short hairs all over my head. It is a reassurance that things will get back to normal eventually. I just wish it did not have to.