Monday 25 April 2016

Saturday Runaround

I can not believe I have not written anything for so long!

Last week I got some less happy news in an email, so my mood for writing or doing anything sort of vanished. I had no thoughts for the blog or the book for a couple of days and I regret not doing any of those things. It has been almost a week since my last post. I do hope all of you who are daily reading this blog are still with me.

On Saturday my mood changed when I had John with me the whole day. We woke up early, which is something very new to both of us during the weekends, and started the day down at the gym. While John used a machine I do not know the name of, (one of those where you sort of run but you hold on to handles and the feet goes in circles...) I power-walked on the treadmill next to him. We had bought entertainment with us since neither can stand exercising without fooling our brains that we are not. John watched something on Shiny (our Xperia tablet) while I read a chapter in a book called Geim.

After half an hour I stopped reading and upped the tempo to jogging. I have never liked gym machines. Whilst walking/running my foot almost made me trip more than four times. This happens when I walk generally, but it is worse when on a machine. I can not stop and catch my breath, the foundation I am walking on keeps moving, so I could hurt myself badly if one trip made me fall forwards. Luckily this has yet to happen.

After forty five minutes in the gym we decided to stop. Walked by the little store just outside our building to buy ice cream and milk, then we thought John could go to the food court to buy us some lunch and bananas. He came back and we had noddles with dumplings and meat while watching Daredevil in Ultra HD 4k! Then it started to rain and just like every other rain here you really CAN NOT go outside if you do not own a boat or have a life-vest.

When it eventually stopped we took the MRT to Chinatown. A new part of this city we had yet to explore. According to John it was very Chinese; the architecture, the smells and obviously the people. With Google Maps help (not so helpful help though) we tried to find a hardware store. Walked up and down small streets with lots of small shops. Found one that Google thought was a hardware store but when we entered found out was a store for restaurant owners to buy all their large pots and rice cookers and more. One of the employees told us we would not find a hardware store where we could buy wire mesh/chicken wire in Chinatown. This we found strange since a man in another store told us to find it here.

Stopped at McDonalds to share a surprisingly large coke while John tried to figure out if a store we had found online was still open. Without an answer to that we headed back to the MRT and travelled to Rochor. There we were just outside Sim Lim Square but no, instead we walked in the heat towards Little India, where, John told me, the architecture was very indian as well as the smell and of course the people. We did not find any hardware stores. The people we asked pointed us in different directions and yet not one store appeared before our eyes.

I called it. My feet were hurting, my head was aching, my body was tired. We made a quick stop at Sim Lim Square to buy some speakers for the computer and some cables. Then used Google to find a FairPrice and bought some food before we took the MRT back home. We ordered food home and had a pleasant evening. What a day that was. We even concluded to buy the wire mesh online!







No comments:

Post a Comment