Sunday 1 January 2017

Happy new new year!

12.017 HE


I have told myself for a long time that I want to count differently. The current year never made much sense to me, in the same way that celebrating Christmas does not. But when asked by John what I wanted to count from I never had any specific answer. It has been a vague answers saying something that marks humanity as a species and not a religion. To me counting after Jesus' birth (am I right?) feels stupid since I am not Christian and "do not believe in him". I believe he existed, but I do not believe he was the son of God and had magical abilities (turn water into wine, really?). Therefore I need something else to count from.

A few weeks ago I found a video taking up my issue with the counting of years. They explain why we count as we do and why we should count differently. This is exactly what I had been talking about and I was so pleased to see that somebody else had thought it through. They made it very simple to convert to counting after the human era by just adding ten thousand years to the current year. The reason is simple - that was when homo sapiens built our first "building". With building they mean a stone temple. It feels right to count after something that we did as a species instead of counting after what one human did. It excludes religions meaning and embraces everybody.

Let us start counting after the Human Era. Happy new new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment