Thursday 26 January 2017

SkEye - app recommendation


SkEye | Astronomy

Free version.
Available on Google Play.
Developed by lavadip.
Official website.


SkEye Pro

Cost $8.17.
Shows comets.
Satellite tracking.
The complete NGC.
All stars up to mag 10 are rendered.



If you are like me and truly enjoy to look up at the night sky this app may be the perfect app for you. It is a planetarium in your phone! I am enjoying this as often as I see the stars above me. I find joy in knowing what I see. The app is surprisingly accurate and detailed. I only have the free version but might upgrade to Pro eventually. I can look in any direction, even through the earth to find the sun in the evening. It helps me see the discs when the planets are in the sky and I get amazed every time I think about it.

One feature that I truly enjoy is zooming out. Suddenly I can see the zodiac signs - where they are and what they are called. I can zoom closer to see what stars are within them. If I go out the last zoom the names disappear and I can challenge myself to see which I know by heart. It is perfect for me who likes to teach myself these things.

This app has been my evening stroll companion. So many times I have seen a bright spot in the sky, called out a guess and picked up the phone. John has had to grip my waist to keep me from walking all over the place while I scan the sky with the app. I usually am right about the planet or the star. It is so much fun to recognise objects that are so far away from me. Then suddenly I feel incredibly small and has to think about something else.