Sunday 15 January 2017

No Artsy Dinner

We meant to go see this outdoorsy art display yesterday. It was at Aliwal Street, where we had been on Sunday to eat at a restaurant. It felt good to recognise a place and not feel terribly lost in Singapore. After a year here I can finally feel like I somewhat know the place.

We travelled to Bugis around half past five. The people we were meeting were supposed to get there around half past six, but I wanted to go to some stores in the mall before that. I am looking for a cheap and large notebook with blank pages for a scrapbook I am planning on making for the previous year. It will be fun to create it since it was the first year in Singapore. A lot happened. Unfortunately I did not find any - all notebooks had lines in them and were too small. I started to feel a bit dizzy since I had not really had anything to eat that day. Half a mango for lunch/breakfast and a glass of o'boy. I had also just taken a caffeine pill so my stomach was acting out.

John and I met Weile, a woman we had never met before, outside Typo. She was sweet and forward, felt like she had known us for some time. It was very relaxing and not at all uncomfortable as it can be when meeting new people. We walked over to the fountain to wait for Ash. We did not have to wait long before our friend arrived.

Our first choice of restaurant was a curry restaurant but when we saw the line we rethought our decision. John thought of Victory, a restaurant I had forgot but apparently Ash had recommended it before. Before going there John got the opportunity to play with Ash's camera. She had a new lens and the photos looked really good! We then walked towards Arab Street which was close to Aliwal Street and the art display.

Victory is an Indian restaurant and we ordered three dishes to share. A murtabak; half made of bread and half egg with chicken in the middle with tiny pieces of bones. I had the small edges of bread. Then we ordered chicken briyani, but the chicken was spicy (for me) and they had mixed it with the rice so I could only take the small amount that was untouched by the sauce. I also had some small pieces from the chicken without the spices. Lastly we had red/orange thin noodles that were okay with my spiciness level, but did not taste good overall anyway.

My dinner consisted of a small amount of cucumbers with ketchup. I had ordered lime juice but received water with lime and a ton of sugar! It was too much so I handed it over to John, then ordered a glass of water. The water never arrived, even though we ordered ice water on three different occasions.

When we were leaving I started feel dizzy and sick. We walked towards the art street but at some point going there I felt like I was going to throw up. I explained the situation and John was kind enough to help me home. It felt like I had sunstroke even though I had not been out in the sun. I think it was the heat and the lack of food. We never got to see the art but had a cosy evening at home instead. John made a bowl of yoghurt and salted tomatoes (something I just recently discovered is a great snack from when John's sister Rebecka was here on a visit). We watched the first episode of A Series of Unfortunate Events and really liked it. It was cruel and unforgiving. They did not hold back on anything. Really liked it! Can not wait to see more! I read the thirteen books about the Baudelaires as a teenager and really liked them. I remember every plot in every book and really hope this series will survive to show them all.

Before leaving Weile and Ash at that street Weile said we could always go on the next event. It felt good to hear since I felt like I was betraying my own words for leaving. I appreciated it a lot, thank you. Let us have a girl's night soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment