Monday 24 April 2017

Citymapper - app recommendation

Citymapper

Free.
Available on Google Play and App Store.
Developed by Duolingo.
Official website.


I am a full-time public transport user. I do not own a car and I do not have a driver's license. I do not think I will ever get one. Perhaps the day when I have too many kids to hold in both hands. I used to have a bike, but it broke around four years ago. I never bought a new one after that, mainly because I lived in Stockholm and the public transport was pretty good (although expensive). In Singapore it is even better and very convenient to go anywhere in the country. It is a small country, so there is really no reason for the public transport to be bad.

I have used so many maps and apps to keep track of the time tables of all the different types of transport. I will say it right away - Google Maps is not accurate! I used Singapore MRT to check the times of the subway, but it too was not very punctual. Another app called Moovit was a slight improvement, but it too was not entirely accurate and did not show all the stops at a bus line. Because of this I went of a couple of stations too early because I did not know there would be four more between the two shown in the app.

Citymapper is my new found jewel! Recommended from a friend to John, who recommended it to me. It shows all the public transport you can think of - taxi, bus, subway, tram and even the ferry lines. It has everything I need. Click on Get Me Somewhere to start your journey, add the adress and several options will appear. Apart from subway and bus lines I immediately see how long it would take for me to walk or bicycle there. There is a taxi estimate as well, showing up as Uber on my device (maybe they collaborate?), and I can see how much it would cost. At the very top of the suggestions page is a weather alert of the location you have chosen, showing both temperature and current state of the weather. Clicking on the Walk option will calculate how many calories you will lose during that promenade and also compare it in percentage to meals. Since I live in Singapore I get very Singapore-related comparisons, but I believe it will adjust to your country.

From the page when opening the app you can scroll down to find maps (this being the MRT/subway map in Singapore for me) and the latest posts from the company as well. There I found an update which lets you share your trip. I can now see when and where John is travelling if he shares the link with me.