Sunday 23 April 2017

Racing Fancy

A new first! I have always enjoyed watching horse racing on the TV, but now I have seen it from the VIP room with buffet and free flowing wine. What an interesting experience!


Ash invited us to join her and her family at the Turf Club on Friday evening. The Turf Club lies at the Kranji Racecourse, even further away than the zoo. We were sent a dress-code and tried our best to honor it. I chose a dress that I bought over a year ago but never worn, with fake Dr Martin shoes since I had no fancy ones in Singapore. John wore suit pants and a nice dark purple shirt.

We met Ash and her colleague Maggie by Farrer Road MRT. Steve was on his way so we hung around waiting for a couple of minutes. When we were all assembled we went to the taxi stand upstairs and called for a cab. We were getting late, already missed the first race. Our taxi came, drove past, had to make a u-turn at the end of the long road, drove past again on the other side, made another turn, came slowly up towards us as we waved and jumped so he would not miss us. It was a small car but with six seats. John and Steve had to cramp up in the back. I took the front seat. Our driver was not very good. We arrived at the track but he took a wrong turn and had to drive another ten minutes to get back where we had been. Eventually we got out of the car though, even though he dared to claim the six dollars for the entry to the area.

We checked in at the main lobby. The lady behind the counter would not let John go up before he had the proper dress-code. Apparently he needed a tie or a jacket and needed to tuck in his shirt. John is not fancy. Ash tried to tell a small white lie, claiming his jacket was upstairs, but then the lady said he needed to wait in the lobby for it. Instead he had to borrow a tie and as Ash put it - "oh, no. John will actually like it." It was bright orange with large blue dots. It was a horrible contrast to his dark outfit, but John laughed and was very pleased with himself.

At last we came to the club room. It was a rather large room for only five or six big tables. Her family had one table at the opposite side of the room as the one we were seated to. A waiter was soon by our shoulders, asking what we wanted to drink. I am still on my diet, but I decided to give myself another cheat day of only a couple of glasses. I ordered white wine, but could not possibly keep track of how many glasses I had during the evening since they constantly filled it up without notice. Between our table and the big Indian family was a large buffet with all the classic meals on such a table. Pasta, rice, meat, vegetables, fruit, cheese and hot metal-covered plates which I never looked underneath. At the bar there was a man serving fine sous-vide salmon with tasty yakiniku sauce, next to him was a woman serving noodle soup. Towards the wall was a dessert table with fruit on sticks to put under the chocolate fountain (I resisted and only had the fruits) along with small pieces of spongecake.

We were there for most of the races. Every time one was about to start we took our glasses of wine and beer and headed outside onto the balcony. There we stood just above the cameramen and watched the race like some VIP fancy rich people. It was a fun feeling, even though I could not possibly be mistaken for one. Ash and Maggie did bet some money on a couple of races and did leave with a small profit. John and I guessed and helped them bet, but never placed any of our own money. We are not betting people, even though we could have won a large sum if we only had put in ten dollars.

When the last race had finished the winners collected their money, we gathered up our things and went like a large family towards the elevators. We had to make two rounds to get everyone downstairs. There we expected a limousine, which had been bragged about all evening, but found instead a waiting van. Everyone laughed at this glamours experience. Steve, John and I sat at the far back and found ourselves in the confusion of this Indian family. They were all very kind and including, but the words jumped everywhere and it was difficult keeping track of the subject.

The driver stopped outside La Salsa, a restaurant/bar not so far away from where we lived. I believe the whole place was rented by Ash's family. Apart from two women in the far back corner we were the only ones there. Coldplay was on speakers, loud and making it next to impossible to speak to the person next to you. A bottle of whiskey was put down at the table where the younger people, us five, sat. No one had ordered it, but it was there. We were very confused. Things happened and placed before us. Her uncle came over to talk to us and ordered a round of tequila. I declined mine since I had already gone over my diet and was not in the mood for more alcohol. The uncle was a bit persuasive, but I stood firm and did not drink anything else.

Eventually it was past midnight, a headache was building up from the music and the small amount of alcohol (since I have not consumed much in a while only a few glasses makes me queasy) and I wanted to get home. I was not at all prepared for this after-party and one look at John said he was thinking the same. We made sure to thank our host and show our appreciation. At least John did, I was a bit shy and stood far away dancing a little by myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment