Friday 30 June 2017

Triumphant Volunteer

Another day at The Cat Museum. John and I discussed if it is still called "my job" even if I do not get paid. We both agreed it is still work, since it is voluntary work. I do enjoy going there every week; the cats are lovely and most of the costumers are friendly. I have gotten to know some of other volunteers and are making new friends.


I usually meet with Dawn to have a late lunch before we go to TCM. Last week I asked a volunteer if she wanted to have dinner afterwards, but the plans changed to lunch the day before. So I was still at Bugis Junction by half past one, meeting a new friend for some ToriQ. I have had it three times now in connection with TCM but I think it is really good food. Rice with seaweed and chicken skewers. They have other options as well, such as pork, quail eggs and eel, but of course I do not like any of the other alternatives. I tried the pork once but it was not very good.

After we had finished we walked around for a while, talking about books and hobbies. I was unfortunately having a headache, so we went outside to get some fresh air and wait for Dawn to arrive. She was doing some work and would be there within half an hour. Eventually, when she had arrived, we walked to TCM.

Every week we get shifts at different sections in the building. There are three floors, two rooms on each, and reception. This time I was on the third floor (floors are second, third and fourth) in the adults section together with Dawn and another volunteer. We are usually only two people in one room, but it looked like we had a lot of volunteers there. Dawn was hoping to get some more work done while me and the other one handled the guests and cats. We did as well as we could, me with a headache and the other too shy to talk to anyone. Also, Dawn is too outgoing to sit and work while people are around, so she did do most of the introductions either way.

The second shift was me and my new friend up on the forth floor, taking care of the permanent residents of The Cat Museum. There are thirteen cats that are not up for adoption and are the well-known cats living there. Prince Harry is the face of TCM with his skew-eyed and quirky personality. They all have interesting and gripping backstories about being abandoned, how they were found and how they came to live at TCM. I do not know all of them yet, but I learn every time I am up there and they are all so very loving cats.

Half past five we started preparing the food. In the general chat between all volunteers and the owner, we got informed what to give them and how much. Last week we had a small misunderstanding and it did not end particularly well, which is why I chose not to write a post about it. This week went better, we did everything right. Even so, the owner sent her best volunteer to check up on us. It felt a bit unfair. We are, after all, only volunteers and can only do as good as we can. At least we could triumph the guy coming up the stairs, saying we had already fed them and taken care of everything.

The museum closes at seven, but last entry is six thirty. All guests are sent to the fourth floor first, so at the time when no more entries are allowed we started shutting down. Turned off the ACs, cleaned the bowls, removed waste and brought the trash with us down. I was ready to leave by quarter to seven, since I had no dinner plans any longer. I let John know I was on my way home, and he was meeting me by the hawker centre. We had a cheap but filling dinner before going back home and end the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment