Tuesday 2 May 2017

Cooking with Fumblefingers ep.1 - Much Mashed Meal


First episode! I decided to make it simple. This post will include a short list of ingredients and a how-to, which I believe you will not really need. It is a quick and easy lunch that will suit anyone on any diet (apart from vegetables and potato-diets). You can add or remove ingredients to suit your needs.


For a large portion (could be split into two lunches):
  • three medium sized potatoes
  • a handful of baby spinach
  • cucumber
  • tomatoes
  • corn
  • cubed cheese
  • broccoli
  • a half can of tuna (I prefer mine in olive oil so it is not too dry)
  • chives
  • butter
  • salt
As you can see it is a pretty simple lunch. While the potatoes are cooking you can prepare everything else in a bowl. Mine is from IKEA and I find it the perfect size for a large salad! I start with cleaning all the ingredients, just holding them under running water for a while. I might be a bit picky but I like to remove the stalks from the baby spinach because I find it a bit bitter. Add it to the bowl. Then I chop the tomatoes. I slice them from top to bottom and not straight through the middle to avoid a juicy mess. Chop the cucumber into edible sized bits, as well as your choice of cheese, and pour some corn into the bowl together with everything else.

When the potatoes are nearly done, with around five minutes left, you can steam the broccoli above them. Cut the stalks short and put them in a strainer, then place the strainer above the boiling water. If you would like your broccoli salted you can salt them while they are above the water. A little more salt in your potato water is okay.

When the potatoes are done, put the broccolis in the bowl and empty the water from the pot. Keep the potatoes in there and start mushing them with a slice of butter. I like mine a bit chunky so I do not much it too much. Add a handful of chopped chives, mix and leave it for now. Add tuna, or fish/meat of your choice, to the bowl. I take half a can, but that really depends on how big your can is. Mix them well, since you will not be doing it again. As a last touch, add the mashed potatoes on one side and you are done.

This meal looks messy but it is very delicious. It takes no effort and no time at all. You could add a dressing to this if you like, but I prefer mine without. The hot potatoes and broccoli makes this a warm dish which I think is important for lunch. Though I overcooked my potatoes and my broccoli, and both could definitely use some more salt, this lunch is my favourite healthy homemade option right now!

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment