Friday 5 May 2017

One Unforeseen Celebration

Holidays and celebration has never been a big part of my life. I never really enjoyed Christmas, never understood Easter, liked Halloween for a while but later lost interest since the original purpose was lost to the modern world. There are some holidays only celebrated in Sweden, or in few European countries, which I did take part in but never understood. Such as Walpurgisnacht, which was last weekend.


In Singapore we have not really participated in their holidays. We know when they are since John is mostly free from work on those days, but we have not tried to understand what they do and why they celebrate it. We have passed some Indian and Chinese holidays, not even bothering checking what they mean and I am sure a lot of Singaporeans do celebrate, only in their own homes. This means we Swedes have no idea how to educate ourselves in their traditions.

Today is Cinco de Mayo. It is a Mexican Holiday, yet it is celebrated in a small fashion at a Mexican restaurant here in Singapore. Possibly in other places as well. Tonight, we are going to Chimichanga! I have never been there but our friend Ash asked if we wanted to go and since it is a Friday, we could not say no! All I know is that we are going to eat good food, have some drinks, listen to music and I am hoping for dancing! I will update you on how this night went tomorrow, but for now...

HASTA LA VISTA!


No comments:

Post a Comment