Friday 26 May 2017

Sushi Cats

On Thursday it was the second time I volunteered at The Cat Museum. Seeing as I needed to be there half past three, I thought I would have a late sushi lunch at Bugis. I have been a bad friend as of late, so I invited Dawn to join me.


We met at Bugis around one o'clock. She gave me a gift, a small package of Moominvalley cookies. Moomin, or Mumintrollen, being originally Swedish books, she had thought of me (and John) and that we would enjoy them. I only tried them once I was home later that day and they were very good, very fluffy and tasty. For lunch we went to Genki Sushi, a favourite place of mine, and ordered a bunch of small plates. It was delicious and filling, we left with the idea of having ice cream for dessert but we realised it was impossible.

Before going to Purvis Street where the shelter lies, Dawn took me to a small shop filled with books. I know John has wanted to take me there, but never gotten the chance. We stopped outside, looking through the many boxes of tightly packed books. Dawn found one that sounded interesting and even though I was on the edge of buying it, I left it. It was a 1 for S$2.50, 2 for S$5 price and I could not find a second book in the same price category. Instead I found a book on my wishlist - The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. It will be my first Gaiman-book but I have heard a lot of great things about this author! It was S$8.50 on Book Depository, I paid S$5.90. Well, Dawn paid since I did not have any loose cash, only card.


Dawn came with me to the shelter to greet some of the cats that are always lurking in the entrance. When Jessica, the woman who runs The Cat Museum, arrived Dawn realised she wanted to stay and give a helping hand. We followed another volunteer to get a tour of all the floors and then we had to split for the first one and a half hour. I was in the adult section together with a very kind woman who seem to be my personal guide. She was with me in the Kittengarten (kindergarten) last week. The adult section has around ten or fifteen cats, all above one year old and all ready for adoption. They are so cuddly and lovable, I wish I could adopt them all.

For the second shift I took Dawn to the Superstars, the permanent residents of The Cat Museum. They are around ten as well and not up for adoption. There are two maine coons, Angie and Sarah, abandoned by their breeders for, to me, unknown reasons. They are adorable, very playful and relaxed. Other permanent residents are a cross-eyed ginger cat called Harry, a small shy girl called Shakira and a exotic shorthair Brad who has the cutest flatface. The visitors start at the top floor and work their way down. At six thirty there are no more allowed entrances since the museum close at seven, so we shut down everything and said good night to the cats.

See you next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment