Thursday 4 May 2017

One Season Series


I watch a lot of series. I am a season-swallower and can re-watch a series many times if I find it interesting enough. There are a few that I can not let go off for some reason and others that I watch and then come back to after a longer period of time. I am so sad so many series are left to die after only one season, leaving the watcher, aka me, to wonder what happened in those fictional lives. Since most series end the last episode of the first season on a cliff-hanger it leaves me in so much pain not to know what happened next!


Let me give you IMDB-links to three series that only got one season. On the top of the list is a series that I come back to now and again. It is relaxed and easy, but has so much character building as it gets. Second is a personal favourite because of theme and production value. It is simply well made and a topic I have deep interest in. Third is unusual and nothing I have ever seen before. It surprised me, yet I will say it is not a great series, but definitely worth a watch.

Bunheads
This series is about ballerina dancers and small-town life. We follow Michelle Simms, played by Sutton Foster, as she goes from Las Vegas dancer to struggling to find out who she really is. The character is witty and has a lot of sarcastic humour, which is perfectly right for me. There are a couple of dance scenes which I absolutely love and the cast is so talented in both acting and dancing.

The series had been planned for a second season but, according to tvline.com, it was cancelled due to "ABC Family has been actively looking for more cost-efficient methods to produce the Sutton Foster-fronted series moving forward."

The White Queen
If you are like me and enjoy watching a somewhat accurate historical fiction about England, then this is for you. This mini-series follows Queen Elizabeth I and how she went from a commoner to winning the newly-crowned king Edward IV's heart. It is exceptionally well performed and the scenes are incredibly beautiful. I went through the one hour episodes in a very short amount of time. It only runs for ten episodes but manages to cover all the great historical events that happened during the War of the Roses. I absolutely loved this series and right now I am thinking of watching it again.


The Lizzie Borden Chronicles
Now this series is interesting! I started watching it without knowing anything about it and found out only after a few episodes that it is based on actual events. We follow Lizzie Borden, who presumably murdered her father and stepmother in 1892. The series is about her life after that, everything fictionalised though some facts remain true. I find it fascinating that someone decided to create a whole series around one woman's mysterious life. Did she or did she not commit those murders? Though the series is as unique as it gets, I am not sad to only get one season. It had nowhere to go and I think eight episodes covered everything we needed to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment