Wednesday 24 August 2016

A lifetime of misery

Hi. Do you have back-pain? Are you in your twenties and walk around like you are in your eighties? Well, you are not alone! Or you are if you are me.


I have had this back-pain for a week now (or something like it). I know exactly what is it since I get it from time to time. This one I got after cleaning the house and not warming up nor stretching afterwards. The day after I could barely stand straight or move without pain. I walked tilted forward because I just could not straighten my back. Lay down on the floor to forcefully do so but ended up stuck on the carpet since I could not rise up because of the pain. After an hour of being stuck down there I pushed through the pain. A week later it is better, but still hurts.

When I was a kid my school nurse saw the S-shaped back and told me that I really needed to exercise it. As a ~nine years old I had no idea how to do this. I did not care and so I did not exercise. When I was twelve another nurse told me to exercise my back. I asked how to do so and I remember getting tips. I asked my family to help me but none did. And so I did not exercise. Same scenario happened when I was fourteen.

As you may as well guess I have not been exercising my back at all and I still do not know how to do so. It is still in is beautiful S-shape and I fear it will never go away (of course not, it will never go away, I know this). Instead I have these strange old-back episodes where I walk around in great pain and in need of assistance with simple tasks. I remember having one of these episodes when I was in Spain with John and met his mom for the first time. Spent a couple of days just lying in bed, it was a pain when I had to walk up the stairs.

Lovely memories.