Thursday 18 August 2016

How to meet People

John found an app called Telegram. It also has a desktop version which means you can use it on computers as well. It is like WhatsApp and he invited me to two groups. I have no idea how he found them but we joined these groups with a mission.



To get friends. We are so bad a meeting new people and afterwards keep seeing them. Sometimes we meet somebody, make plans to see each other soon enough and then just fade away. I have several examples.

With these groups we will actually try to make proper friends. One chat is full on active all the time with around eighty people. New topic arise every five minute or so and it is very easy to give your opinion. The other chat has even more people in it but it is less active and try to stick to one topic at a time, I think. I am mostly just reading one chat and try to find something to say in the other before it gets irrelevant.

Anyway. Yesterday we wrote in the chat to meet up at Holland Village and have some beer. What it seemed like a lot of people wanted to join. Nearing the end of the day there were only a few who answered if they were coming. When I met John and Heidi by the MRT we had no idea if we were meeting anybody at all. Heidi left shortly after for other business to attend and we walked to the hawker stall. While reading the chat we stood in line for some food. Suddenly two people walk up to us and says hi. The woman told us she was just there to say hi and then she had to leave. The guy walked of to get a table and I followed. We talked about life and then John joined. We ate, we talked, we shared cheap beer.

Later another guy from the chat joined us. There was a lot of talk and I tried to keep up. I admit it was difficult, most topics I had nothing to contribute with. Never the less it was a pleasant meet up. It was fun to finally get our asses out there and meet somebody, even if it was a small turn up.

When we were done with the food and the drinks and the time was around ten one of us had to leave. The remaining four, including us, walked over the street to get some ice cream. Unfortunately the ice cream place had just closed since it was a few minutes passed ten. So we decided to split and go home. And so we did.

I suppose that was a good first meet up from the group. I would have enjoyed another woman to talk to but the guys were friendly enough.