Sunday 18 September 2016

Long live the Greenery

Today was a hot day. Annika and Thomas was up and ready early, even before I got out of bed. John had a headache and I gave him two pills for it - one caffeine so he could not fall asleep again. We decided a meet up spot and the parents left for Botanic Gardens. John and I had an hour to get ready before leaving.

In true Singapore fashion we took the MRT to Botanic Gardens instead of walking ten minutes straight forward. It was I who convinced John, saying that we would walk a lot in the Gardens anyway. We met the parents inside and together we walked outside to have lunch. At the entrance we met two university students asking general questions about the Gardens. Thomas and Annika dived in with answers and their own questions. John and I goofed around. We had lunch at McDonalds, then walked back to BG.

Thomas had been here before and wanted to take us to the Evolution Garden. Even though John and I have lived here over six months, we still have not completely (or nearly) investigated the Gardens. We had been there once before. It is amazing! The plants are so green and colourful. Annika found a bush with green leaves but from underneath they were beautifully red. John found two carnivorous flowers that looked big enough to eat a small mouse.

The Evolution Garden was a medium length trail which showed how the earth looked like, starting from 4,600 million years ago to the rain forest (do not know the year). It is really interesting to walk there and see the fossilised trees, the cylinder-shaped stones and the greenery that existed before even the first flowers appeared. I think that they made that part of the Gardens really well.

After that we split up. Annika and I were too warm to continue and wanted to go back to the pool. The men soldiered on!

In the pool we noticed that it was not very cool at all but rather warm and I almost felt like I was sweating underneath the surface. It was a really hot day indeed! Spent hours laying by the pool, occasionally going into the jacuzzi to try to cool down but getting hot when exiting. I read so many chapters while trying to get a tan since I am embarrassingly white after have lived here for so long.

When John called we went up to discuss what dinner to have. It was as difficult as always. Eventually Annika went down to the store and bought shrimps, white fish, potatoes and cooked us a delicious meal. I can not remember the last time I had fish. I do not eat it often enough. Thank you for that, Annika!


 



Found several of these "date stamps" in the ground.



 Attack of the velociraptors!




1 comment: