Monday 12 September 2016

Second time and being Late

The plan was to go to the zoo yesterday, but I did not feel well and so we spent the day by the pool instead. Of course I burned my shoulders, but hey, what did you expect?

Today we spent so many hours at the Singapore Zoo! Been there once before, Two big events in one day, but this visit was probably better times two... or three! It was amazing.

So we started off by ordering an Uber to take us there. John sitting in the front seat talked to our chauffeur the whole time while I sat between his parents in the back. Only about half an hour later we exited and felt the newly rainy air. Luckily it did not start to rain during our visit.

Before entering the zoo we needed lunch. After mentioning KFC Thomas immediately knew what he wanted. While John followed him I followed Annika around to look for something else. Not much to chose between and we walked into KFC just as the guys were ordering. Sugar and carbohydrates - exactly what you need for a full day in a humid forest full of existing animals!

We got our tickets and started the tour. John announced me the tour guide and I unfolded the map. Knowing the route we took the last time I rarely needed it and only consulted the map to be sure we did not miss anything. First we saw the big-nosed monkeys. Then more monkeys. Then to my favourite of all.

The Icebear. Now I know it is called a polar bear, but my morning robe is so fluffy that I named it Icebear. Also I found a sign close to the animal enclosure that read icebear, so it is official. Inuka, the icebear, and I are family.

We saw the cheetahs up close, one sitting in the middle of the meadow licking himself/herself. A leopard was pacing by the window and looked very frustrated that the window was even there.

Halfway through we came to the orangutans enclosure and the small food court. While Thomas and Annika rested on a bench John and I went to buy some fruits and Coke. Well-needed sugar! I was already exhausted. We sat there a while to drag out time waiting for The Splash Show, an event John and I missed last time. Before we took our places by the scene we hurried over to the elephants who had just finished their show. They stood by the railing getting fed by some zoo visitors. Annika and I went to stand in line but left when we realised it costed money. Sat down watching them for a while before returning to the scene.



It was a cute show. A sea lion splashed around, listed to his trainer and received fish. Three people from the audience - one lady, one macho man and a child - volunteered to throw a frisbee for the sea lion to catch. Only the child managed on the first try (also the only one starting at a close distance from the animal). Not an amazing show but worth seeing (once).

Nearing closing time we finally came to the white tigers. By far the best species they have. The two siblings were so active; ran around, swam, played, hunted each other. John took a lot of great photos, some of which you will see below. I will post a few, but not overwhelm you. They were so adorable and I recognised Ymir's behaviour in them. They were a lot larger, naturally, but the playful antics and the sneaky biting is the same in all cats, no matter the size. It was difficult to leave.

Then the staff started telling people it was time to leave and so we slowly walked out of there. Took a cab to Holland Village to have dinner at Fat Boys. We were so hungry. Unfortunately it took almost an hour to get the food. Our waiter said that my food would take fifteen minutes so I suspect they simply forgot about us. Annika the Amazing Woman talked to the manager, or the highest ranking person present, and got a lowered price.

Went home after that. I was very tired. My feet hurt since my best shoes are too torn down to walk long distances in. It was a long day, but a great one!










 



2 comments:

  1. Nice pics! And sounds like a lovely day. Miss you guys very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pics! And sounds like a lovely day. Miss you guys very much!

    ReplyDelete